I asked people a while ago about something that helps them to have a better quality of life. Several people answered that reading blogs, listening to podcasts, and writing were some things that helped to improve their quality of life. I agree with this, so I’ll share some things about blogging and podcasting.
Benefits of blogging and/or podcasting:
- You can train yourself to write regularly
- You can start to be viewed as an expert in your field
- You can start to create connections with people
- These benefits can help your business
- It can help you write a book
Benefits of reading blogs and listening to podcasts:
- Connect with other bloggers/podcasters
- Connect with their audience
- Part of continuing education and growth
How to start blogging:
- Pick a topic (or a couple of closely related topics) that you can write about consistently
- Choose a name, title, and sub-title
- Choose the right domain name
- Setup either a WordPress.com account or install a self-hosted WordPress.org blog (see below for video and link to Michael Hyatt’s tutorial)
- Try to be consistent – people are creatures of habit
- Include a picture with each post – be careful about copyrights (Flickrr and iStockPhoto are two options)
How to start podcasting:
- Similar to starting a blog: topic, name/title, etc.
- Consistency is important here as well
- Strive for the best audio quality you can
Some basic equipment/software:
- Microphone (ATR 2100 USB Microphone)
- Windscreen and pop filter
- Mixer, condenser, amplifier, etc.
- Blubrry Power Press plug-in
Sources of help with podcasting:
- Dave Jackson (School of Podcasting)
- Daniel J. Lewis (Audacity to Podcast)
- Cliff Ravenscraft (Podcast Answer Man)
Do you have any thing to add to these benefits or steps?