My name is Joshua Rivers, and this is the eighth episode, and we’ve been able to have some incredible episodes so far. I am so excited about the possibilities in the future as well.
Last week, I was able to speak with Chris LoCurto about preparing to attend an event or conference. He has worked with Dave Ramsey’s team for over 12 years, and has put together and spoken at dozens, or even hundreds of events. He shared some fantastic advice. I have shared a few other resources to help prepare for events. I also promised a list of action items that I planned on sharing just on the blog last week, but I decided to share them on the podcast as well. I’ll share them in just a minute.
Nothing Undone Lessons:
First, I’ll be doing a little recap and then I’ll be sharing some things about reaching for our potential. This is part of the little series I started in the first episode based out of Joshua 11:15, where it says about Joshua that “he left nothing undone.” I shared some things about priorities, purpose, principles, and preparation. Some of these were directly related to this series, some were just part of the discussions and interviews.
· Life is too short to do everything you’re supposed to do.
· That means something must be left undone.
· Most of us leave the important things undone and do the less important things.
· The reason for that is, big things never clamor for you time.
· So the important things must be done on purpose.
1. God comes first (Matt. 6:33)
2. Family (Eph. 5:21 – 6:4)
3. Church (Heb. 10:25)
4. Work (Gen. 3:17-19; 2 Thes. 3:12)
5. Others (Gal. 6:10; 1 John 3:16-19)
6. Self (2 John 8; Rom. 14:12)
1. Quote by John Maxwell in “The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth”:
· “People say there are two great days in a person’s life: the day you were born and the day you discover why. I want to encourage you to seek what you were put on this earth to do. Then pursue it with all your effort.”
2. Purpose answers the question “Why?”
3. Purpose gives us reason.
4. Your purpose needs to be bigger than yourself.
5. Joshua’s purpose was bigger than himself
6. God has a purpose and plan for each of us
7. If we don’t fulfill our purpose, God may find someone else (Esther 4:14)
3. Personal Accountability:
1. We must take responsibility for ourselves
2. We need to start asking better questions
3. Avoid blame, procrastination, and victim thinking
4. Focus on taking action
4. Principles (Core Values):
5. We need to have a set of principles or values that we live by.
6. These are more that preferences.
7. These are things that we don’t negotiate on.
1. Know why – have a purpose
2. Take notes
3. Network by giving, not taking
6. This week, I’d like to talk a minute about potential:
1. Our potential is always bigger than we are now
2. We should be striving to reach our potential
3. Not reaching for our potential is a waste
4. We have more potential than we think – God has plans for us (purpose)
a. Share story of my stuttering and speech therapy
b. I still need to work on my “ums” and “ahs”
c. I normally try to edit a lot of them out because they tend to distract from the content, but I didn’t edit them on this episode on purpose for two reasons:
1) So that my progress can be seen
2) So that I don’t rely on the crutch of editing – higher accountability
I’m thinking about taking these lessons, adding to them, and then making it into an e-book. If that is something that you would be interested in, please leave me some feedback.
Action Items for EntreLeadership
- God’s wisdom
- Help with interacting with people – goes against my nature (introvert)
- To pay attention so I can learn as much as I can
- Identify my purpose for attending
- Ask others for advice
- Ordered business cards and other products with logos
- Go through the EntreLeadership book – already read, so just doing a quick scan and listening to audiobook
- Make sure my Social media profiles and About page are up-to-date
- Post something awesome on my blog – ALWAYS! J
- Also working on improving my Dev By JR site
- Start making connections with attendees
- Sent some tweets to Dave Ramsey, Jon Acuff, Chris Hogan, and @EntreLeadership
- Sent some tweets and post on LinkedIn trying to find others attending – no success yet
- Going to do some more as the time gets closer
- Set up Facebook group to share ideas and resources
- When I go to help, plan on working!
- Get to the event as early as possible – waiting at the doors when it opens
1. Introduction to me and the show
2. Thank You Revolution with Matt McWilliams
3. Purpose with Mark Sieverkropp
4. Parenting the QBQ Way with John Miller
5. Growing Up with QBQ with Kristin Lindeen
6. Core Values with Dave Stachowiak
7. Preparing for Events with Chris LoCurto
This show is brought to you by Dev By JR, LLC
I recently started this web design and development business. I’m still getting things nailed down and fine-tuned. But I would love to help with your website or answer questions you may have. My focus is on small business websites, but I can help with church websites and blogs as well. You can contact me at DevByJR.com.
Leave Some Feedback
1. I would love to hear from you! Please go to the blog at SimpleLiving.us/008. You can find the show notes there with pertinent links. You can scroll down and leave a comment or question there.
2. Or you can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. You can also go to the blog, click on the voicemail link on the right and leave a short voicemail for me.
4. If you’d like to connect on Twitter, I am @JoshuaWRivers.