Why Start a Side Business
Welcome to the first episode of season 3
- What is this podcast?
- Main topic – why start a side biz?
- Who am I?
What is this podcast?
- Help you start a side biz
- Help you grow your side biz
- Help your personal growth
- Give you support, encouragement, and inspiration
Why start a side biz?
- You just want a little extra income
- You want to replace your current job, but don’t want to leave your job right away
- You Can Test Your Product Before Taking the Leap
- You Won’t Incur as Much Risk
- You Can Use Your Salary to Help Fund the Business
- You Can Build Your Business Slowly
- You Can Keep Your Job Benefits
- You Can Do What You Love
- Financial freedom
- Time freedom
- Be your own boss
Who am I?
- Personal history
- Didn’t grow up as an entrepreneur – I shied away from everything to do with selling
- In high school, I started doing some “side work” by getting a part-time job…and then a second part time job
- After graduating high school, I often had either college with a job or (at least) two jobs
- Around 2003-04, I dabbled a bit into some kind of newspaper ad/mail scheme
- Around 2006-07, I started creating some websites for pastors and churches I knew
- This continued until 2010, when I started to see that I had actually created a side-biz
- I took college classes to improve my skills from 2010-2013
- From 2010-2015, I continued to create websites for a small handful of clients
- I started podcasting in 2012
- 2015 was the year I switched my side biz from website creation to podcast editing
- I officially started Podcast Guy Media, LLC in 2016
- I slowly grew the side biz until I got way too busy and started outsourcing some work in 2017
- Personal realization
- I like taking different personality tests to learn more about myself
- One of the realizations that I’ve had while comparing and blending the results from different tests is that I haven’t be working in some of my strengths – specifically that of learning and teaching what I learn
- This podcast is to help me share what I have already learned, what I’m currently learning, and also for me to continue to learn as I talk with guest experts and others in the trenches